Last night I wanted cake, but the temperature was suddenly arctic and who wants to go cake shopping then? So I made some basic cupcakes – 4 essential ingredients and half an hour later and I had enough cake for a whole weekend of unhealthy eating.
All you need is self-raising flour, sugar, eggs and butter.
1) Weigh the eggs to get the correct amounts for the other ingredients. A 2 egg cake will make about 12 fairy cakes.
2) Weigh out the same amount as the eggs in the flour, butter and sugar. It’s possible to use half as much sugar and still get pretty much the same cake.
3) Mix all the ingredients. Melt the butter if you want to make mixing easier. I think the traditional order is sugar and butter together, then the eggs and flour but I’m not sure what difference that makes about from not having everything loose in a bowl at once.
4) I added a small bars worth of melted chocolate for flavour, cocoa powder would work too for chocolate, or any flavouring or fruit bits or sprinkles or just vanilla essence – whatever you fancy and have in the cupboard!
5) Scoop the batter into cake cases or a greased cake tin. About half full seems to work well.
6) Bake for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees C until the cakes have risen, have lightly browned on top, and a knife poked into the cake comes out clean.
7) Eat as soon as they’re cool or decorate however you want. I used marshmallow Fluff ‘cos I have an icing sugar shortage 🙂 It’s basic and quick but results in fluffy, tasty cake!